aerial2

Lions Fall to Tenth Ranked Lady Buffs

Ryan Scott, Sports Editor

The Texas A&M University – Commerce women’s basketball team fell short of their second three-game win streak of the season after falling to the West Texas A&M Lady Buffs 100-73.

The Lions travelled to Canyon for their first action against a ranked opponent this season and could not hold back the Lady Buff attack and never led at any point in the game. The Lady Buffs shot 51 percent from the floor with seven players finishing with double figures.

The Lions had a strong performance from freshman Artaejah Gay, who led all Lions scorers with 22 points, a career high and the second highest scoring output from a Lion this season. Gay also tied for the team’s top rebounders with six.

The game marks a continuing trend of futility against the Lady Buffs, as the loss drops the Lions to 5-51 all-time against West Texas A&M. The loss puts the Lions at 9-7, with a 3-3 conference record, which places them at sixth out of nine teams in the Lone Star Conference.

The Lions may have a tough go of it in some of their upcoming games, with their next three against teams currently ahead of them in the conference standings,. Adversely, the schedule also gives the Lions a chance to begin to climb up the rankings.

The Lions look for continued production from La’Tisha Hearne, who leads the team in both points per game average and rebounds per game, and has garnered both an offensive and defensive player of the week honor from the Lone Star Conference.

The Lions next home game will pit them against the Tarleton State Texanns, which marks the first of two scheduled meetings between the two teams. The Texans are led offensively by Kathy Thomas, who averages 14.3 points per game, and defensively by Ikpeaku Iwobi, who averages 8.7 rebounds per game, as well as 12.3 points per game.

The Lions split the season series between the Texanns during the regular season last year, but ended up falling to the Texans in the first round of the Lone Star Conference Tournament. This is the first meeting between the teams since their clash in the tournament, and the Lions will definitely be looking to avenge their tournament loss.

The Texas A&M University – Commerce Lions will host the Tarleton State Texans on Saturday, Jan 31, at 4 p.m. at the Field House.