Lion Men’s Golf gets big comeback win at Dallas Baptist

Tyler McDonough, Sr. Sports Reporter

The A&M-Commerce men’s golf team picked up their first win of the 2018-2019 campaign | Photo by Tyler McDonough

By Tyler McDonough | Sr. Sports Reporter

Irving- The Texas A&M University-Commerce men’s golf team picked up a big win on Monday and Tuesday in comeback fashion at the Dallas Baptist Patriot Classic behind three top-10 individual performances, and a first place finish from Lucas McCubbin.

The win is the first of the season for the Lions. A&M-Commerce jumps up to 63rd in the Golfstat Rankings with the win, as the Lions defeated numerous regional opponents in the field. The Lions shot an 885 total for the 54-hole event with scores of 299-302-284. The 284 final round (-4) brought the Lions back from seven strokes down after the first two rounds.

“We started the day off steady and it just got better and better throughout the day,” said assistant coach Lauren Mason “Being seven shots off the lead going into today and finishing a clear 13 shots ahead when we finished shows just how good this team can be. They had their foot on the accelerator and didn’t take it off. This win is a great confidence booster heading into our last tournament of the spring before postseason.”

“It was only a matter of time before they got the win and they did just that today in great fashion … it was great to watch. To have a first place medalist with Lucas McCubbin’s first college win, a player finish third with Zach Burch’s lowest finish ever in a college tournament, and sixth is a great sign as a coach. Joe Wolcik moved up 44 places today with his 4-under 68. I am excited to see what this team is capable of in their next tournament, and hopefully it continues and sends us far into the postseason.”

McCubbin (Midland) picked up his first individual win as a Lion, as he fired scores of 70-73-72 for a -1 total. McCubbin was calm and collected all three rounds on the tough Hackberry Creek Country Club track. The win is his second top-5 finish of the season.

Zach Burch reading the 17th green at Hackberry Creek Country Club | Tyler McDonough

Zach Burch (Lubbock-Cooper) placed third overall individually with a +4 total with scores of 76-74-70. Burch had a fantastic bounce back second-nine in round two as he shot five under his last five holes. Burch followed it up with a great two under final round to come in at third.

Blake Hartford (Spring-Klein Collins) was steady as usual, shooting scores of 75-72-74 to come in at +5 and finish sixth place. The top-10 finish is his second of the season.

Joe Wolcik (Cleveland-Tarkington) was huge down the stretch in round three as he recorded four birdies and an eagle to fire the low round of the day with 68 (-4). Alex Welch bounced back in round three to shoot a score of 75 (+3).

The win couldn’t have come at a better time as the win could propel the Lions down the stretch, as the Lions push for the postseason. The Lions will be back in action next week as the men and women will travel to Arkansas-Fort Smith in a very important regional match-up.

About the Writer
Tyler McDonough, Sports Editor

Hello, my name is Tyler McDonough and I am a Senior at Texas A&M University-Commerce. I am originally from Toronto, Canada, but I have lived in...