Bruister gets win No. 500 as Otto deals No-Hitter

Tyler McDonough, Sports Editor

Head Coach Richie Bruister picked up his 500th win in game 3 versus MSU-Texas | Joseph Miller

By Tyler McDonough | Sports Editor

Commerce– Head Softball Coach Richie Bruister picked up his 500th career win as the No. 9 Texas A&M University-Commerce Lions swept the Midwestern State Mustangs in three games over the weekend.

In game one both teams were limited offensively as Lion pitcher Emily Otto and Mustang pitcher Misty Muniz both dealed solid games. Otto pitched a three-hitter shutout after getting out of a few jams early on in the game. Muniz pitched a good game as well, going six innings and didn’t allow a run until the fifth inning. After Kayla Kilcrease knocked in a run by getting hit by a pitch, Vanessa Muro opened up the game wide open as she hit a bases clearing double to put the Lions up 4-0. Otto closed things out to conclude the score at 4-0.

In game two the Lions scored 11 of their 12 runs unearned. The Mustangs had costly errors that hurt, and the Lions took advantage, winning 12-0 in five innings. The Lions scored 8 runs in the third after Bri Sims knocked in a grand slam (2nd of her career).

In game three, Kilcrease set the tone for the Lions as she ripped a double into right center to get things started. Kilcrease took third on a sac bunt and scored later on by a wild pitch. Kinsie Hebler knocked in an RBI in the fifth and after a few walks Vanessa Muro drilled a walk-off grand slam to mercy rule the Mustangs 9-0. Emily Otto had a fantastic performance as she threw her second no-hitter of her collegiate career.

Head Coach Richie Bruister after the game

“You couldn’t script any better than it happened today. I want to thank the good Lord for the opportunities He’s given me. I want to thank my family too. I have a wonderful wife and dad. Everybody has supported me all these years. It is tough being a family member of a coach with all the time we have to spend working to be successful. I couldn’t be more thankful for my family. I want to thank my staff members that have been great through all my years. I’ve been fortunate for them to stand by me, now with Coach May and Coach McNutt. I want to thank all the support staff and the administration at the universities I have coached for. And most of all, to the players. They have overcome bad coaching. I have out-recruited my coaching ability. I am very proud of what they do every single day. My hats are off to the players and my coaching staffs for all they have done throughout the years.”

About the Writer
Tyler McDonough, Sports Editor

Hello, my name is Tyler McDonough and I am a Senior at Texas A&M University-Commerce. I am originally from Toronto, Canada, but I have lived in...