Future of Berry Hall uncertain

John Parsons, Staff Reporter

Berry Hall. Photo Courtesy | TAMUC SmugMug

By John Parsons | Staff Reporter

Berry Hall, located west of campus, had 200 beds, became uninhabitable due to the lack of air conditioning, has an uncertain future. The buildings and parking lot are being used as storage facilities.

The air conditioning was donated to the university’s Children’s Learning Center.

The residence hall has been opened and closed multiple times, according to Julia Rose, Residential Living and Learning assistant director.

It was built in 1964 and was last closed in 2017, after Phase III residence hall opened.

Berry Hall was frequently used as summer housing for students and summer camp attendees and has been provided as no-charge spring break housing for residents of traditional halls.

“Did not enjoy it,” is how one former resident described the hall on social media.

Berry Hall is composed of six two-story buildings made of double occupancy rooms, community bathrooms, a kitchen in the main lobby, laundry facilities, and television lounge plus an administration building. The community bathrooms are located at a central location on each section and include up to three toilets, three sinks, and three showers.

While it was open, each bedroom included two beds, two desks, a closet with drawers and shelves, and a smoke detector. Each room had extended cable service.

“It will require a study to decide to keep the building or not,” Rose said. “The department’s mission is to support education and that governs how RLL spends money.”

The hall is named for R.H. “Bob” Berry, former football coach.

The decision on Berry Hall will be “in the best interests of the university,” Dr. Thomas Newsom, associate vice president and dean of students, said, noting “a decision is not critical” at this time.

Berry Hall remains within Residential Living and Learning. Its 200 beds are still included in the 2,800 bed count provided by Michael Stark, director.

1 Comment

One Response to “Future of Berry Hall uncertain”

1. Dansktex on November 28th, 2018 10:00 am

The university should sell the land where Berry Hall and the Children’s Museum are located for commercial business development due to the major highway separating them from the main campus. They should also plan to eventually sell the land where Smith Hall is located for commercial business development for the same reason when it becomes outdated as a residence hall. With the money from the sale(s), they should continue buying homes between W. Neal Street and Monroe Street all the way down to Culver and use those blocks to build new housing and parking garages to serve students and commuters. Of course, they need to keep enrollment on the Commerce campus up and growing so that there will be a demand for the prime property they would offer on the west side of the highway.

• News

A&M-Commerce students involved in traffic accident

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Mugs on the square

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Dr. Michael Eric Dyson speaks on social issues, possible solutions

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Honoring All Who Have Served

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Hunt County, Statewide, 2018 Midterm Election Recap

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Retirements, relocations cut into library staff

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Veterans’ Vigil to be held on campus Nov. 8

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Filtered water fountains save a ton of plastic, literally

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Grad Fair aims to help with graduation checklist

• Future of Berry Hall uncertain

Kappa Alpha house demolished

Future of Berry Hall uncertain