Future of Berry Hall uncertain

John Parsons, Staff Reporter

Berry Hall. Photo Courtesy | TAMUC SmugMug

By John Parsons | Staff Reporter

Berry Hall, located west of campus, had 200 beds, became uninhabitable due to the lack of air conditioning, has an uncertain future. The buildings and parking lot are being used as storage facilities.

The air conditioning was donated to the university’s Children’s Learning Center.

The residence hall has been opened and closed multiple times, according to Julia Rose, Residential Living and Learning assistant director.

It was built in 1964 and was last closed in 2017, after Phase III residence hall opened.

Berry Hall was frequently used as summer housing for students and summer camp attendees and has been provided as no-charge spring break housing for residents of traditional halls.

“Did not enjoy it,” is how one former resident described the hall on social media.

Berry Hall is composed of six two-story buildings made of double occupancy rooms, community bathrooms, a kitchen in the main lobby, laundry facilities, and television lounge plus an administration building. The community bathrooms are located at a central location on each section and include up to three toilets, three sinks, and three showers.

While it was open, each bedroom included two beds, two desks, a closet with drawers and shelves, and a smoke detector. Each room had extended cable service.

“It will require a study to decide to keep the building or not,” Rose said. “The department’s mission is to support education and that governs how RLL spends money.”

The hall is named for R.H. “Bob” Berry, former football coach.

The decision on Berry Hall will be “in the best interests of the university,” Dr. Thomas Newsom, associate vice president and dean of students, said, noting “a decision is not critical” at this time.

Berry Hall remains within Residential Living and Learning. Its 200 beds are still included in the 2,800 bed count provided by Michael Stark, director.