Men’s Basketball returns home after Consecutive Colorado Tournaments

Arrion Ellis, Sports Reporter

A&M-Commerce men’s hoops celebrate a victory | Photo by Ashley Tuppen

By Arrion Ellis | Sports Reporter

This past weekend the Texas A&M University-Commerce men’s basketball team played in the HILTON GARDEN INN DENVER CHERRY CREEK CLASSIC, matching up against the No. 25 Regis University (Colorado) and Metro State (Colorado).

The Lions played Regis University first on Friday, Nov. 23 at the REGIS Field House, where they made a second half comeback to win 83-69.

The Rangers held the advantage throughout most of the first half with 37-31 lead. However, the Lions carried momentum from hitting a last second buzzer beater shot going into the second half.

In the second half the Lions flipped the switch, having a fire start. They shot 17-for-25 from the field, 5-for-6 from three-point range and 13-for-16 from the charity stripe to give them a sustainable lead.

With a little over 10 minutes left to go in the second half, the Lions would close it out with an 11-0 run gaining their largest lead of 17. This win improves the team to 5-1

The Lions out rebounded the Rangers 32-28 and Reggie Reid lead the team in scoring with 17 points, shooting 4-for-11.

Next, the Lions played Metro State on Saturday, Nov. 24 at the Auraria Event Center, where they lose in overtime 76-69.

Starting the half neither team could create separation, both teams kept battling for a lead. Midway through the half the Lions trailed 15-13 and the Roadrunners would push their lead to six.

After going on a 7-0 run the Lions would go into halftime trialing 32-31.

Entering the second half the Lions started off cold as they went scoreless for four minutes. While the Lions were trying to figure things out the Roadrunners established an eight point lead.

The Lions would not let the game get to out of hand as Tyree Robinson helped bring back the Lions hitting five consecutive shots, evening the score at 43 with 10 minutes left to play.

After battling for a lead for a while, Reggie Reid would hit two big threes that would help give the Lions a 55-54 lead with two minutes left in the game.

The Lions then lost their lead with 53 seconds left in the game and were forced to foul after their last possession would not work. MSU made both of their free throws, making it a three-point lead with 25 seconds left.

The Lions played the odds, hitting a two pointer and fouling again. The Roadrunners made one of two and the Lions had one final chance. Driving down, Srdan Budimir found Conrod who nailed the shot to tie the game and send it into overtime, tied 59.

In the overtime period, the teams traded buckets early before Metro State scored six points in a row to take a 67-61 lead. The Lions began to run out of time and had to foul to extend the game, but Metro State made its free throws and left with the overtime win.

With the loss the Lions become 5-2 and will next face off Angelo State for their first Lone Star Conference game at 11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 29 at the Field House.