Mugs on the square

Lauryn Harris

Mugs has special offers several discounts for its customer|Photo Courtesy of Coffee over Tejas 

Known as a message sent from God, Kelsey Lytle and her mother Becky Thompson restored the building in downtown Commerce, TX. On October 4, 2017, this building opened to the public as Mugs on the square, a quaint coffee shop.  

Raised in Royse City, TX, Becky Thompson and her husband started a veterinarian clinic in Commerce, TX where he practiced for over 35 years. After becoming established in Commerce, Becky alongside her family started the goal of cleaning up the community and making Commerce look its best with Mugs being one their projects.

“We did not realize we would have this type of response from the university students. We thought it would be local retired people coming in and hanging out all day,” Mugs barista Katie Walden said. 

Mugs offers a wide variety of coffees, teas, and pastries, with a warm inviting atmosphere customer can relax in. With seven employees rotating throughout the week, the baristas at Mugs offer a friendly atmosphere as well as the original brick walls and ceilings giving customers a homey feel as they sit back and hang out with friends, catch up on their latest novels, or study with classmates.

“I like that it’s very homey, not super crowded, and they have amazing drinks,” customer and local university student Kayla Johnson said.

With special offers such as coupons from university events, a punch card, and double punches on blue and gold Wednesday’s, Mugs offers several discounts and rewards to their customers.

With customers asking if Mugs plans on expanding to nearby cities such Sulphur Springs and Greenville, they believe it’s not always easy replicating something.

“Part of what we feel like makes Mugs special is this building and the people and you can’t replicate that.” Walden said.

Mugs may not have the plans to expand their business anytime soon, but they want their customers to know to come on Wednesday’s in their Lion gear to receive double punches and that they also offer free WIFI.