Women’s Basketball Preview vs. St. Edwards

Drew Ivery, Sports Reporter

Princess Davis attempts a shot | Photo by LCU Athletics

By Drew Ivery | Sports Reporter

The Texas A&M-Commerce Lions will play in their first home game of the season in a non- conference matchup against St. Edwards at 7pm in the Commerce Field House.

Senior guard Princess Davis is tied for the team lead in points through three games with teammate Chania Wright at 10.3 points per game.

In their last contest, the Lion basketball team fell to Lubbock Christian, 67-42. The Lions having a tough series of games early on with three games in four days. Lubbock Christian being the latest and toughest as they are No. 10 in Division ll. Commerce split games at the TAJ Hospitality Classic in Lubbock winning one out of two.

Lion Women’s Basketball (1-2):

Head Coach Jason Burton at the helm again for a fifth season for the Lions looking to make some noise again in the Lone Star Conference. A&M-Commerce ended last season as the third seed in the conference. The Lions are projected to finish fourth in this years LSC Preseason Poll. Burton and his team lost a lot of depth and experience from the previous season, but are embracing the new year and new group at their disposal. Coming off the matchup with No. 10 Lubbock Christian, Wright led the way with 11 points and Princess Davis added 9 points and five rebounds.

St. Edward’s Hilltoppers (3-0):

The Hilltoppers starting the season strong as they have yet to lose in the 2018-19 season, averaging just under 71 points per game. The Lions defeated them last season at St. Edward’s in their lone matchup. Coming off a win in their last game where St. Edward’s won 58-37, the Hilltoppers look to keep up the streak in Commerce. Isabel Hernandez led the team in scoring in the previous game with 12 points, accompanied by a pair of teammates, Maryam Wilcher and Bailey Hill, who added ten each.

Players to Watch:

● #12 Princess Davis (TAMUC)- Davis currently tied for the team lead in scoring at 10.3 per game and is top 3 all-time in assists in the LSC. Davis, who last season was a WBCA All-American, looks to propel the team to an NCAA tournament berth year in her final season with the Lions.

● #5 Isabel Hernandez (SEU)- Hernandez this year beginning the season showing no mercy on offense. The senior forward from Rome, Italy is averaging 19.3 points per game through three games so far this year. With only adding 12 points and five rebounds in the last game, Hernandez is still the outright leader in scoring on her team with the next closest at just 11.3 points per game.

Matchup: Game start is set for Nov. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Commerce Field House. The game can be heard on 88.9 FM or www.ketr.org, the Lion Sports Network.