No. 21 Lions keep things rolling into LSC Tournament

Arrion Ellis, Sports Reporter

The A&M-Commerce Volleyball team will be the second seed in the upcoming LSC Tournament

By Arrion Ellis | Sports Reporter

The No. 21 Texas A&M University-Commerce volleyball team wraps up their regular season on an eight-game winning streak by beating Eastern New Mexico 3-2 and West Texas A&M 3-1 this past weekend. The Lions will be the No. 2 seed in the upcoming LSC Tournament.

A&M-Commerce volleyball team had an away match on Friday, Nov. 2 against Eastern New Mexico. The result of the game was 31-29, 22-25, 25-21, 23-25 and 15-10 giving the lions another Lone Star Conference victory.

The Lions pushed through to get a victory as ENMU came to play. In the first set of the match, neither side could capitalize on finishing the set after having chances of set point.

The Lions had to battle back by scoring the next three points after being down 29-28 to win the first set.

In the next set, the Greyhounds went up early having a 15-10 lead over the Lions. The Lions started to chip away that lead, but the Greyhounds made sure they capitalized on thee early lead by winning the set.

Yet being down 19-17 late in the third set, the Lions won the third set in a impressive manner. The Lions scored three straight points to take a 20-19, positioning them to go ahead and close out the set.

The Lions had the chance to close out the fourth set by scoring the first eight points, but ENMU continued to show some fight. ENMU fought back from a 14-10 deficit to end the set 23-25.

In the final set, the Lions had to overcome a 5-1 deficit. The Lions would go on to score the next seven points giving them a 8-5 lead and then finally closing out the set.

Following that match, the volleyball team had another away game on Saturday Nov. 3 at West Texas A&M. The Lions would win this match 3-1 in a dominate fashion, with the set scores resulting in 25-19, 25-20, 26-28 and 25-13.

The Lions lead all of the first set, scoring the first seven points. However, the Buffs would not give up as they cut the Lions lead to one point before the Lions would actually close out the set.

The Buffs had a better start to the second set, as they took an early 4-2 lead. However, the Lions showed their dominance fighting back to control the second set, putting momentum on their side. Being down 16-15 the Lions would bounce back, scoring the next five points to help put them in the position to win the second set.

For the third set the Buffs had another great start, keeping the game tied at nine. The buffs would go on a six-point rally, separating themselves for the set. It came down to wire as the Lions fought back, but unfortunately the Buffs scored the final two points giving them their first set.

For the final set, the Lions came out extremely hot building an 9-3 lead. The Buffs would go on to score the next two points, but that did not concern the Lions as they would go on a five-point rally.

Acquiring a nine-point lead the Lions put the game out of reach to end the set.

Entering the Lone Star Conference Volleyball Championship, the Lions are getting prepared to face off UT Permian Basin on Nov. 8 at 2:30 P.M. The Lions were 2-0 against UT Permian Basin in the regular season.