Gone Fishing: students form club fishing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michael Wallace (left) and William Fitzgerald (right) competed in the AFTCO Collegiate Bass Open Oct. 10-13. Photo Courtesy | @tamucfishing via Twitter

Arrion Ellis

By Arrion Ellis | Staff Reporter

Because of his outdoorsy upbringing, Michael Wallace developed a passion for fishing that would later help him keep a club running for its second year.

“Several of the best lakes are within 150 miles from here and probably some of the best fishermen attend this school but do not know about this club,” Wallace said.

Wallace noticed that other universities were being televised for fishing competitions and realized that A&M-Commerce did not have a team, so he took action. With  affiliation with the Morris Recreation Center, the club was developed in the spring of 2017.

“The club has grown since the start of it, now having 18-20 members,” Wallace said.

The club is willing to take  anybody, no matter the fishing skill. They want anyone who is interested in fishing and or wants to become more knowledgeable about it.

“It’s a social group, something that I have really enjoyed and has helped me get through tough times in life,” Zach Magee, a member of the club said.

Even though it is the Fishing Club, it’s more than just fishing.  They meet and discuss things like going out for trips, upcoming events and sponsorship. Companies like Dobyns Rods and Warrior Baits give out discount codes to help the club.

The club competes nationally and regionally with other universities to qualify for championships. For the fall, they have competed in the American Fishing Tackle Company Collegiate Bass Open and a tournament held on the Ouachita Lake in Louisiana.

They predominantly catch fish like bass and trout. The goal of the competition is to catch the most fish, but depending on how big the fish is determines the value of the fish. So whoever has the most and or heaviest fish wins the tournament.

“Fishing is very dynamic and changes depending on the circumstances,” Magee said.

“It’s hard to beat mother nature,” Wallace said.

The Fishing Club meets bi-weekly on Thursdays at 6 p.m. in the recreational center  or you can find them on social media @tamucfishing.