Lady Lions Golf finish Fall Season strong

Tyler McDonough, Senior Sports Reporter

Lions pose after a runner up performance at the Skyhawk Invitational | Photo by Coach Matt Ward

By Tyler McDonough | Senior Sports Reporter

The Texas A&M University-Commerce women’s golf team traveled to Albuquerque, NM to compete in the Skyhawk Women’s Fall Intercollegiate at the University of New Mexico Championship Course, finishing tied for runner-up in the 16-team field.

The Lions placed very well in comparison to regional teams in attendance. The Lions also finished ahead of three conference teams and tied with Midwestern State University. The Lions did unfortunately fall to West Texas A&M, but only by four total strokes.

The Lions started off hot in day one of the 36-hole tournament shooting a 291 (-1) total to control a share of the lead with West Texas A&M. The 291 total ties a school record, and marks the first time in history the Lady Lions have shot under par as a team. The second day did not go as good as day 1, but overall the second round went well for the Lions as the team shot a 303 (+11) total.

Sarah Wongsinth led the Lions in the tournament claiming a t-5th finish shooting scores of 72-73 for a 1-under total. Wongsinth earned her second top five finish and her fourth top 10 of the season.

Paige-Lee Garris finished just a couple strokes behind Wongsinth, firing solid rounds of 72-75 (1 over par) to finish the tournament in 9th place. The top ten finish for Garris marks her second on the season.

Makena Thomas had a solid performance shooting scores of 72-79 to help put the Lions in good position. Sophie-Charlott Hempel carded scores of 75-77 to maintain a good fourth score for the Lions.

Lauren Leslie rounded out things for the Lions as she shot 80 in round one and 78 in round two to card a +12 total for the Senior.

Freshman Karlee Nichols competed as an individual for the Lions shooting scores of 80-81 in her first collegiate tournament.

The tournament marks the end of the fall season for the Lions. The ladies have had their most successful run this fall finishing with top-5 finishes in all four events. The Lions will be back in action in early March at the St. Mary’s Lady Rattler Invitational in San Antonio.

About the Writer
Tyler McDonough, Senior Sports Reporter

Hello, my name is Tyler McDonough and I am a Senior at Texas A&M University-Commerce. I am originally from Toronto, Canada, but I have lived in...