Lions get back to .500 in Conference Play

Tyler McDonough, Senior Sports Reporter

Photo by Joseph Miller

By Tyler McDonough | Senior Sports Reporter

The A&M-Commerce soccer team have now won three of their last four games, and have won back to back games, as they defeated Midwestern State 3-2 on Monday.

The Lions have now clawed their way back to .500 in Lone Star Conference play as they improve their record to 6-4 (3-3 LSC) with two wins in the past week. MSU-Texas falls to 2-7-2 (1-4-1 LSC).

Michelle Kotlik continued her scoring barrage as she scored her fifth goal of the season. Kotlik’s five goals lead the Lions in goals scored. Sabrina Munguia is right behind her as she knocked in her fourth goal of the season today.

Forward Kara Blasingame who is normally known for her assists, also knocked in a goal versus the Mustangs, marking the first collegiate goal of her career.

The Lions did not take much time to get on the scoreboard as Kotlik used her patented header on a corner kick from Karissa Rulander in just the seventh minute.

Not even two minutes later Lindsey McDonald found Blasingame from the right wing for another goal to extend the lead 2-0.

Munguia continued the first half avalanche as she scored in the 23rd minute after Kotlik dropped a dime in front of the goal to make the score 3-0. The Mustangs Julia Orozco did cut into the Lion lead as she scored with 58 seconds left in the first half.

Goalkeeper Caitlyn Duty continued her fine play on the season as she had two quick saves at the beginning of the second half. Duty finished the day 3 of 5 on saves, and had a crucial save in the 87th minute.

The Mustangs did make things interesting as they scored again in the 62nd minute to cut the lead to one goal, but the Lions were too much to handle, controlling the ball effectively in the closing minutes to hang on victorious 3-2.

After a rocky start to conference, things have seemed to settle down for the Lions as they look to extend their winning streak to three games when they travel to San Angelo this Friday to take on the Rams of Angelo State. The Lions find themselves just four points back of Angelo State who sits in second place in the LSC.

About the Writer
Tyler McDonough, Senior Sports Reporter

Hello, my name is Tyler McDonough and I am a Senior at Texas A&M University-Commerce. I am originally from Toronto, Canada, but I have lived in Austin, TX nearly my entire life. I am a Communications/Journalism major and a minor in coaching athletics. Some things that I am involved in at TAMUC include being a student/athlete, sports writer for the East Texan, radio host at KETR, play-by-play announcer for Lion Athletics, and Treasurer of the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC). When I am not on the golf course I enjoy theatre, writing, talking sports, and shooting hoops.

Go Lions!