Kotlik scores both goals in 2-0 win over UT-PB

Jordan Ader, Staff Reporter

Lion midfielder Michelle Kotlik heads the ball. Photo Courtesy | Evan Luecke via Lion Athletics

By Jordan Ader | Staff Reporter

Midfielder Michelle Kotlik scored two goals in only 55 minutes of playing time to lead Lions soccer in a 2-0 shutout of UT-Permian Basin at Kyle Field in Rockwall Sept. 28.

The Lions started out in attack mode, forward Sabrina Munguia and defender Jazmin Coronado had shots in the opening 10 minutes that were saved by Falcon goalkeeper Chenoa Crites, and midfielder Myla Crum’s 30th-minute free kick deflected off the crossbar. UT-Permian Basin was only able to muster up one shot, a 12th-minute try from the box which was blocked by a Lion defender.

At halftime, both teams were caught in a scoreless stalemate, despite the Lions dominating on both sides of the ball. They had six shots to the Falcons’ one and stifled the Falcon attack at midfield.

Nine minutes into the second half, Kotlik leaped above the Falcon defense to score a header set up by Crum’s rightward lofted cross into the box, giving A&M-Commerce a 1-0 lead.

Lion goalkeeper Caitlin Duty made a couple of saves to protect the narrow lead. Kotlik and Munguia both took shots to further their advantage, but both shots were saved by Falcon goalkeeper Crites.

In the 73rd minute, defender Lindsey McDonald found Kotlik with a through pass over the top of the defense, which Kotlik smashed home to extend their lead to two.

Despite having a 2-0 lead, the Lions never took their foot off the gas pedal; they earned three corners in the final 15 minutes and took an additional shot that floated above the crossbar. Duty made a save in the 83rd minute to keep the shutout intact.

Recounting notable performances for the Lions, Duty saved all four shots she faced, while Kotlik scored both Lion goals and had an additional shot on goal. Crum and McDonald each had an assist, and Munguia put two of her four shots on goal.

Statistically, A&M-Commerce outclassed the Falcons, the Lions almost doubled their total for shots on goal and earned 11 corners to the Falcons’ two.

Along with earning their first win in conference play, Texas A&M-Commerce Lions Soccer moved to 4-3 overall for the season and dropped UT-Permian Basin to 1-7 overall and 0-3 in conference matchups. They’ll look to carry this momentum into their face-off against the Angelo State Rams at noon Sept. 30 at the Cain Sporting Complex in Commerce.