Lions start 2-0, look ahead to Eastern New Mexico

Tyler McDonough, Senior Sports Reporter

Chance Cooper catches a pass

Photo Courtesy | Josh Manck

By Tyler McDonough | Senior Sports Reporter

The No. 1 ranked A&M-Commerce Lions football team traveled to Liberty, Missouri this past Saturday as they took on the Cardinals of William Jewell College in a non-conference matchup.

The Lions got out in front early on the Cardinals taking an early 21-0 lead midway through the second quarter and lead 24-7 at halftime after Kristov Martinez knocked in a field goal before the half.

Preston Wheeler was making his second collegiate start for the Lions as he was 25-31 for 181 yards and a touchdown. Kane Wilson got some action as he completed both of his passes, and Wide Receiver Matt Childers even completed a pass for 43 yards.

Carandal Hale had a bounce back game after being replaced by Ovie Urevbu in the first game of the season rushing for 81 yards on 16 carries. Urevbu also rushed for 26 yards on 8 attempts. Kane Wilson once again was effective in goal line formation as he rushed for the games opening touchdown and had 15 yards overall on the ground.

Chance Cooper had a breakout game receiving as he hauled in eight catches for 103 yards. That is a career high in catches and receiving yards for the Sophomore. Matt Childers had another solid game receiving as he caught five passes for 50 yards.

As usual Brucks Saathoff set the tone on defense coming up with six tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble. Jalon Edwards-Cooper had a fine game as well leading the Lions with eight tackles.

The Lions slowed down in the second half as their 24-7 halftime lead dwindled down to a 27-17 victory over the Cardinals.

“I was very pleased with the first half” Head Coach Colby Carthel said, “The second half was very sloppy all across the board, a lot of penalties, more turnovers, miss-alignments. It’s disappointing, but encouraging because these things can be fixed. Lot’s of work to do, but we have a chance to be a really good team.”

The Lions are back in action next Saturday as they remain on the road in a Lone Star Conference matchup against Eastern New Mexico at 7 p.m. MDT. The Lions make their return to Commerce on Saturday, Sep. 22 as they host Colorado State-Pueblo.

About the Writer
Tyler McDonough, Sports Editor

Hello, my name is Tyler McDonough and I am a Senior at Texas A&M University-Commerce. I am originally from Toronto, Canada, but I have lived in...