Filed under Sports

Lion Soccer splits opening weekend series

East Texan Photo | John Parsons

By Tyler McDonough | Senior Sports Reporter

This past weekend the A&M-Commerce women’s soccer team opened their 2018 season with two home matches against regional opponents Metro State and Westminster (Utah).

The Lions had a tough time in the opener against Metro State. The Lions fell behind early to the Roadrunners and never were able to dig themselves out of the hole eventually losing 6-0.

The Lions were out-shot by the Roadrunners 15-2 in the first half and found themselves playing defense most of the first half as Metro State possessed the ball for the majority of the half. Goalie Caitlyn Duty started the game off hot recording three saves in the first five minutes of the game, but the inability of  the Lions to possess the ball put Duty in tough situations giving up three goals by halftime.

The start to the second half for the Lions went better as they were able to control the ball more and have more shots on goal at the beginning of the half. In fact, the Lions did not even allow a shot for the first twenty minutes of the second half.

In the 65th minute the Roadrunners got back to their first half ways, scoring a goal to extend the lead to 4-0.

The Roadrunners never looked back controlling the ball more than 65 minutes total in the game, while scoring two more goals to finish the game.

While it was not the start to the season the Lions wanted, they had little time to dwell on the opening game performance as they took on Westminster (Utah) on Saturday.

Westminster took an early 1-0 lead in the 31st minute, but only five minutes later Leslie Campuzano knocked in a rocket from 23 yards out to tie the game 1-1.

The Lions looked more poised in game two of the season heading into the locker room tied one a piece.
Duty continued her excellent game holding Westminster scoreless in the second half making a pair of saves in the period.

Offensively the Lions did not do much either in the period as the game went to overtime tied at 1-1. A&M-Commerce was the only team to have a shot on goal in overtime, as the score remained the same heading to double overtime.

As double overtime came to a close and both teams struggling to score, Izzy Ward came to the rescue scoring the game winning goal with only 9 seconds left in the game. Ward found the ball after Campuzano sent a corner kick that made its way in front of the box. Ward launched a desperation shot from 20 yards out to win it for the Lions.

The Lions look to win back to back games as they travel to take on the Dallas Baptist Patriots tonight at 7 p.m.

About the Writer
Tyler McDonough, Senior Sports Reporter

Hello, my name is Tyler McDonough and I am a Senior at Texas A&M University-Commerce. I am originally from Toronto, Canada, but I have lived in...