Filed under News

Health fair to be hosted by A&M-Commerce students

Pexels.com

By Sarah Chapin | Staff Reporter

Students within the Health and Human Performance department have decided to create and host a community health fair for the city of Emory, Texas April 28 from 10:00 in the morning to 2:00 in the afternoon.

“The event was specifically chosen for this community after the creation and review of a community Needs Assessment for the city of Emory,” event team media leader Giovanni Pimental said. “The students of HHPH 410 Planning and Organization of Health Promotion have been working for months to provide the best possible event for this underserved community and will themselves be acting as exhibitors and educators during the health fair.”

After collecting the data and assessing the communities’ key health issues, the community has reached out in order to gain partnerships with Carter Blood Care, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, Hunt Regional Lab Solutions, Brookshire’s Food and Pharmacy, ClearCaptions, Cenikor, Andrew’s Center, and the Texas A&M University-Commerce Bachelors of Science in Nursing Program.

Through the participation of these organizations, the event will provide free blood pressure and glucose screenings, health information, low-cost or free vaccines for attendees who bring a Medicaid, Medicare, or Medical Insurance Card, family friendly activities, and prizes such as gift cards and free massage certificates.

The Department of Health and Human Performance (HHP) is also looking for volunteers from the age of thirteen and up who are willing to greet attendees, oversee the children’s activities, paint faces, set up displays, and clean up after the event.

“Many of these students are training to be professionals in the health and medical industry, physical education teachers, coaches, and athletic trainers,” Dr. Elizabeth Wachira, assistant professor in HHP said. “As a department we aim to provide experiences that not only foster learning but are of service to our community, both near and far… As a rural town, Emory’s residents face limited access to resources needed to promote and maintain healthy living. This first ever health fair will provide convenient access to key services and information. With your support, this first health fair will be successful.”

The students and professors of The Department of Health and Human Performance are inviting students of A&M-Commerce to volunteer and attend this new event in the hopes that the health fair will succeed and continue providing health care to the underrepresented communities of Commerce and the surrounding areas.

The free community health event will be located in the Emory City Center at 735 North Texas Street.