Winning streak continues as Lions prepare for weekend showdown

BJ Laudermilk, Sports Editor

Jodie Hill had eight hits in the series with Eastern New Mexico, earning LSC Hitter of the Week honors. East Texan Photo | BJ Laudermilk

BJ Laudermilk | Sports Editor

The No. 9 A&M-Commerce Lions extended their program record winning streak to 15 consecutive games with a sweep over the Greyhounds of Eastern New Mexico in Portales, N.M. last weekend.

Game one saw the Lions pull away for a 12-5 victory. The game was tied at 2-2 after the first inning, but four third inning runs put the Lions ahead for good. Jodie Hill hit two of the four Lion home runs in the game, driving in four RBIs, while Mariah Jameyson and Bri Sims each had three hits in the game, both hitting a home run as well. The Lions had 16 hits in the game, all supporting the starting pitcher Katie Dean, who moved her record to 12-1 on the season with the win.

In the second game, the Lions finished off Eastern New Mexico 13-5 in five innings via the run rule. The Lions scored four runs in the first inning, including a three-run homer from Jameyson, her fifth straight game with a home run. The Lions led by just one after the third inning at 5-4, but they scored eight in the final two innings to seal it, led by a grand slam from Hill, her third homerun of the series. Emily Otto earned her 11th win of the season, by finishing the last three innings of the game.

In the series finale, the Lions again run ruled the Greyhounds, earning an 11-3 victory in five innings, scoring runs in every inning. The Lions pounded out 15 hits in the game, including three home runs, Hill with her fourth of the series. Five players had multiple hits in the game, helping Otto improve her record to 12-2 on the season by allowing just four hits in over three innings of work.

Hill’s performance in the series earned her Lone Star Conference Hitter of the Week honors, the third Lion to earn that award this season. She had eight hits, including the four home runs, drove in 11 RBI, scored seven runs, and even stole four bases. The Lions have earned the award in seven of the nine weeks it has been handed out so far this season.

With the sweep, the Lions improved to 31-3 on the season, and 16-2 in conference play, matching their conference win total from a year ago. The Lions moved up to No. 6 in the country, just points away from being a top five squad. They have a huge home series this weekend, as No. 13 West Texas A&M comes to town. The Lions have only beaten the Lady Buffs twice in 12 tries, and this will be the first time the Lions have hosted a ranked team at home as a ranked team.

The Lions are trying to get as many fans in attendance this weekend, as they have dubbed this weekend “Pack The Park”. Admission for the whole series is free with a voucher that can be found at Mugs on the Square, or other local businesses. The series begins with a doubleheader on Saturday, starting at 2 p.m., and concludes with a single game Sunday at 2 p.m.