Filed under Features

Despite study, pit bull owners loyal to the breed

Photo Courtesy | Berenice Tirado

By Juan Carlos Ferrer | Staff Reporter

Between 2005 and 2015, 232 deaths were caused by pit bulls according a 10-year study by DogBites.org, but pit bull owners dispute the claim that pit bulls are inherently dangerous.

DogsBite.org, a research and education nonprofit organization, performed a study on the number of dog deaths and the dog breed responsible for the death. Between 2005 through 2015, 360 Americans died because of a dog. Out of those 360, 232 (64.4%) Americans were killed by pit bulls. Rottweilers were in second with only 41 (11.4%) deaths.

The continuation of deaths by the pit bull breed has called for the ban across the country, and cities such as Garland and Forest Hill have put bans in place.

Pit bulls have become a target for people afraid of the breed, and they want them banned. Kenneth M. Phillips, an attorney for dog bite victims, posted a video on twitter (@ DogBiteLaw) encouraging people to “DO NOT ADOPT A PIT BULL.”

The video has since gone viral. The commentary is filled with many pit bull owners posting pictures of themselves with their dogs.

“I strongly disagree,” Adrian Ibarra, a former pit bull owner said. “They’re like kids. It just depends on how you raise them.”

He also added that if they see aggression from the owner, then they will show aggression as well.

Others called people out for labeling the dogs without actually getting to know them.

“People are ignorant and refuse to give the breed a chance,” Berenice Tirado, a proud pit bull owner, said.

Many of the owners agree with Tirado. They use the words such as “nice” and “sweet” when they de-scribe their pit bulls.

The reason for pit bull attacks can be many things. They could have lost their touch with humans due to some incident, or they have just never had any human interaction. Some pit bull owners put the blame on the owners.

“The owner all the way,” Tirado said. “They are some of the best dogs!”

Others would put the blame on both the dog and owner.

“It might be both owner and dog. When they get older they become more aggressive. It’s like an old per-son. They get cranky,” Ibarra said.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Despite study, pit bull owners loyal to the breed”

1. Safety Advocate on February 14th, 2018 1:33 pm

The majority of ALL dog breeds are purpose bred to exhibit specific behavioral genetic traits which can be modestly enhanced or suppressed with raising and training. The Pit Bull was genetically bred to fight and kill other dogs and animals. People should pay attention in science and biology classes regarding the genetics of behavior.

[Reply]

2. Jane Petersen on February 14th, 2018 6:58 pm

This article is very one-sided and is a thinly veiled pro-pit propaganda. Dogs are NOT children; this is problem #1 as to why so many maulings occur every month. They are animals that are purpose-bred. Look at the Westminster Dog Show. Humans have genetically selected for a group of traits; Heelers heel, Pointers point, and Pit Fighters need prey.

[Reply]

3. Bruce Miller on February 14th, 2018 8:32 pm

The comments by owners in this article are very strange, as statistics show more than 50% of pit bull attacks are on their owners and family members, with many deaths being those of children. Other studies, as well as Facebook posts, clearly show most pit bull owners have been subjected to bites and attacks themselves, by their own dogs. Despite this, they generally blame themselves for doing something inappropriate rather than the dogs, and refuse to admit this type of dog is potentially dangerous. Some very interesting studies have been done of pit bull owners and their denial.

[Reply]

4. Harve Morgan on February 15th, 2018 8:34 am

All in how you raise them, what a crock. Raise an alligator right and see if it won’t eat you the first chance it gets. These people totally discount genetics, did they miss that class in high school? Discounting genetics makes one a fool. Pits are mauling and killing like no other breed in history and these people just totally ignore that fact. Are they drinking some kind of propaganda koolaid that makes them oblivious to the truth? Something is wrong with them. Something is wrong with people who care nothing about the lives of others, including their own and their families. And having a pit bull is showing the world that you don’t care.

[Reply]

5. KaD on February 15th, 2018 8:58 am

Yes, even after being attacked by their own dogs pit owners refuse to get real. Several studies have been done on the psychology of them, none are flattering. Or as I like to put it, you can’t fix nutter stupid, BREED research prevents Darwin attacks, and BSL protects people from their own stupidity. https://mindhacks.com/2009/03/07/psychological-characteristics-of-vicious-dog-owners/

[Reply]

6. KaD on February 15th, 2018 8:59 am

Public safety MUST come before the self imagined right to own a well documented vicious breed.
    Every trait that was BRED INTO these dogs-explosive,
    disproportionate and unprovoked aggression, gameness, and their uniquely
    damaging hold and shake attack style-makes them defective, destructive, and
    deadly as a PET animal (http://occupymaulstreet.blogspot.com/2012/12/darwin-dogs-pit-bulls-killing-and.html) and stupid, dangerous, and defective as any type of therapy or service dog: http://cravendesires.blogspot.com/2012/04/vintage-stunt-pit-picks.html
    There is only a controversy in the minds of people who want
    to avoid reality. Pit bulls are the number ONE breed for human fatalities and
    severe, life altering injuries (fatalpitbullattacks.com), serial attacks,
    rampage attacks, and failing a ‘second chance’ (dogbitelaw.com) as well as
    mauling and killing pets and livestock (17barks.blogspot.com) and turning on their owners, regardless of ‘how they’re raised’: http://occupymaulstreet.blogspot.com/2012/12/darwin-dogs-pit-bulls-killing-and.html . This is no more an appropriate and safe pet than a tiger or bear and should be regulated the
    same way. There is no need for pit bulls. https://dogbitelaw.com/press-releases/its-time-for-the-pit-bull-recall-too

[Reply]

7. Candy Caine on February 15th, 2018 12:04 pm

This article fails to mention that the Pit Bull type breed was genetically made to fight to kill. It was a sport to throw Dogs into Pits to fight Bulls hence the term. Many will deny there is no such dog but history doesn’t lie. It is a shame for the Dogs because they can’t help their instinct to attack, maul and often kill despite how well they are raised.

Too many back yard breeders and shelters are full due to their aggressive behavior. People think a little TLC will keep this breed from turning but every week you hear of another owner who is mauled by their own Pit Bull type dog. So many beloved Pets and livestock are killed by Pit Bulls every day because that’s what this breed lives for.
    Does it make anyone wonder why so many Countries around the globe ban the breed entirely?

[Reply]

8. William Linington on February 15th, 2018 12:05 pm

Caroline Coile, Ph.D., is the author of “Pit Bulls for Dummies,” and 2015 inductee into the Dog Writers Association of America Hall of Fame. In 2015 she announced, “I am the author of Pit Bulls for Dummies. I will not have another … When they were good, they were delightful; when they were bad, they were deadly.”

Pit Bull Rescue Central says, “Pit bulls are terriers and were bred to recognize other dogs as ‘prey.'” (Pit Bull Rescue Central. Breaking up a fight. [Accessed January 2018.])

The Pit Bull Federation of South Africa (PBFSA) is a pro pit bull organization. They released this public statement in August 2017: “It is with great concern that the PBFSA is noticing an increase in the number of attacks by pit bull type dogs and pit bulls on other animals. These attacks are happening in public places, in people’s own gardens and even in the street… We cannot stress enough to the public, to breeders, to pit bull owners and to those rescuing these dogs, that no amount of socialisation or love can remove their genetics and their propensity for dog aggression and animal aggression…we can never change their genetic make up… Even the most dog friendly, relaxed pit bull often does show some kind of dog aggression sometime in its life.” (Pit Bull Federation of South Africa. Facebook post. 21 August 2017. [Accessed Jan. 2018])

[Reply]

9. heather on February 15th, 2018 1:02 pm

The “study” cited here was conducted by a former professional fortune teller, Colleen Lynn. A simple google search reveals this website is not a reliable source, which means the writer doesn’t check sources and neither does the editor of this newspaper.

[Reply]

10. Teresa on February 19th, 2018 2:12 pm

Colleen Lynn was brutally attacked by a pit bull in Seattle several years ago. Her only mission is to save lives and protect children from dog attacks. On her website: http://www.dogsbite.org you will find real-life victims; you will see the faces of mangled and dead children. If you believe they are fake news, then google their names and learn about their tragedies. Why in the name of God would this woman endure the maniacal attacks from the pit bull defenders to be a “fortune teller.” These are real-life people with real-life stories. Many of them were killed/mauled by their own “beloved” pits. We watched a visibly shaken law officer tiptoe through the gruesome story of that young woman who was killed and eaten by her own dogs. (Yes, I know the dogs had a life change!) What must have gone through her head in those last horrific moments of her life? Seriously, how many golden retrievers have killed and eaten their owner? One dead child is enough to take a look at this issue and use some common sense.

[Reply]

• Features

A&M-Commerce alumna has a never-ending streak of success

• Features

Lack of sleep can cause more health problems than students already expect

• Despite study, pit bull owners loyal to the breed

Leadership Without Limits students prepare for Thailand trip

Uncertainty for student due to documentation status

Non-traditional twists to the holidays

A spiritual Thanksgiving

Students uplifts others and herself

From habit to profit

Students gains field experience from internship

Busy season expected for Campbell Pecans