Filed under Opinion

No question, water is wet

By Zach Cottam | Senior Reporter

Certain questions have plagued human existence since the dawn of time: What’s at the bottom of the ocean? Why are we here? Is there life on Mars? And most importantly, which came first, the chicken or the egg? These questions seem to have no end, as scientific discovery keeps pushing towards answers, and yet only opens up more questions. One question that has arised in the past few years is one that scientists have spent sleepless nights pondering: Is water wet?

Water, the most important resource on the planet, is used for everything in day-to-day life such as drinking, showering, cleaning, cooking, exercise, and even as a weapon most young kids use to terrorize each other and their parents. Yet it seems as if the human race takes it for granted. Everyone knows water is essential to life, it falls from the sky, and that it is made up of two Hydrogen atoms and one Oxygen atom. But beyond that, the average human strays away from the specifics of the liquid, until now.

Today, you will finally find the answer you’ve been looking for, with scientific proof and logical reasoning that would Socrates proud. Let’s dive in.

Water is wet. There it is, the bombshell. The dictionary definition of “wet” is “covered or saturated with water or another liquid.” Rather than looking at water as a collection of molecules, in order to fully understand, we must look at water as individual Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms. These molecules are surrounded by, or covered by, more molecules of Hydrogen and Oxygen. Based on this simple explanation, water already matches the definition: water covers more water, ergo making the latter water wet.

Next, let’s look at it from a logical standpoint. In order for something to alter a different object, it must hold the characteristics of which it is altering. For instance, in order for something to be heated up, it must be held against a fire or electrical current, both of which hold high levels of kinetic energy and temperature. In order to color a piece of white printer paper red, you must use some sort of red object to do so. With this logic, in order to make another object wet, water itself must be wet.

Of course, this isn’t concrete. No scientists have proved this, and in fact, several are in debate over whether or not water is wet. This is as solid of proof as is available at this time. Maybe in the upcoming months, this data will be contradicted, but for now the fact stands: water is wet.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “No question, water is wet”

1. Bill Nye on February 15th, 2018 2:28 pm

Water isn’t wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, ‘get wet’.
    Zach Cottam is an idiot.

2. Stephen Hawking on April 18th, 2018 7:21 pm

water consist of water molecules consisting of other water molecules around it

3. bob joe on November 5th, 2018 7:48 am

i love turtles

• Opinion

Opinion: An army of flies has invaded the cafeteria

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

Final ‘Pitch’ for Gifted Soccer Squad

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

In regulation, Juul should not be the target

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

March Madness

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

No doubt, water isn’t wet

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

The workplace and harassment

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

Political correctness during holiday season?

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

Student concerns rise to the surface

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

Students under ‘major’ pressure

• No question, water is wet

Opinion

Beyoncé vs. Rihanna: Battle of the Queens

No question, water is wet