Commerce High School Homecoming to Kick Off

Giddens

Courtesy / Gidden Images SmugMug

Alan Galicia, CHS Reporter

Commerce High School’s homecoming game versus Grand Saline and Homecoming King and Queen coronation during halftime will start Oct. 13 at Memorial Stadium at Texas A&M University-Commerce.

The student body will throughout the week participate in the festivities through creative hallway decorations and a week full of dress-up days with daily themes, will be preparing for the upcoming showdown between the Commerce Tigers and the Grand Saline Indians.

As for the Commerce Tigers football team, the focus for many may be on them. To head football coach, Mr. Cody Ferrell, homecoming is another opportunity to win. With a week of school spirit and the students having the Homecoming Day off, the pressure is on for the football team to deliver an enjoyable victory.

“Sometimes homecoming can be a distraction to football teams, but to us, it’s all about routine,” Ferrell said. “If we are able to maintain a routine, hopefully, we’ll be able to bring home a victory and a performance the community can be proud of.”

Coach Ferrell, in his initial year at Commerce High School and with the football program, is “confident in his team’s abilities,” and looks forward to seeing a successful Commerce homecoming.

As for the athletes, the pressure is on. To deliver a win to a dedicated home front is the goal not only for Coach Farrell but the football players as well. Jamion Shaw, outgoing team captain and offensive and defensive lineman, Commerce High School could not be any more prepared.

“Really, we are looking for a win. That is something that we really want,” Shaw said. “We need to stay on our grind.”

With strong dedication and a goal-oriented team, Shaw and the rest of the Tigers said that they would like everyone to come out, show support, and have a good time.