Overtime Thriller in Commerce

The Tigers picked up their first win of the season last week.
Photo Courtesy/KETR

The Tigers picked up their first win of the season last week. Photo Courtesy/KETR

Jared Taylor, Writer

(Editor’s Note: This is a recap of last week’s Commerce Tigers football game. The writer is the host of The Big Friday Night Scoreboard Program, recapping high school football action each week, heard Friday nights on KETR here in Commerce.)

Last Friday night, the Commerce Tigers faced off against the Tigers of Leonard in an old-fashioned slugfest, losing a heart-breaker 50-48 in overtime.

The first half was a good offensive showdown as both teams scored a touchdown on each of their first six possessions, something that has not been seen in a long time, with Commerce leading Leonard 34-18 at the half. However, Leonard clawed its way back into the game, holding to Commerce to only eight second half points, and forcing overtime. The Tigers of Leonard struck first with a touchdown and two-point conversion. Commerce QB Casey Shields answered with a touchdown, but was unable to score two-point conversion, thus sealing the comeback win for Leonard.

Even though the Commerce Tigers are 0-2 on the season, there are a few positives to take away. First of all, their gameplan and attack was a lot better seeing as Leonard ran away with this game 48-14 last year. Second, the defense has vastly improved as they were able to force three turnovers (two fumble recoveries, one interception) while the offense surrendered none. Coach Cody Farrell and his staff still have a ways to go in turning the team around, but with the improvements made over the first two games compared to last season, Tigers fans might not have to wait very long.

The Tigers will be on road to take on the Edgewood Bulldogs tomorrow night. The game should be interesting seeing as the Tigers are 0-2 and hungry for their first win. Last season Commerce pulled off the victory and stunned the Bulldogs 45-38 in the Tigers’ Homecoming game, one of two wins for Commerce last season. However, coming off a 34-20 loss to Caddo Mills last week, Edgewood will be alert and ready, hoping to win their home opener and improve to 2-1 on the season.