Centennial Celebration Followed by Groundbreaking

Gwiwon Jason Nam, Staff Reporter

• President Ray Keck III introduces the event to the audience.

Gwiwon Jason Nam

• A&M System Chancellor John Sharp congratulates the university on its 100th anniversary of becoming a state institution.

Gwiwon Jason Nam

• Commerce Mayor Wyman Williams delivers his remarks at the groundbreaking of the new Nursing Building.

Gwiwon Jason Nam

• President Ray Keck addresses the crowd during the groundbreaking with Chancellor Sharp (standing first to the left of Keck) and State Rep. Flynn (sitting second from the right) nearby.

Gwiwon Jason Nam

• Administrators symbolically break ground for the Nursing Building including Chancellor Sharp (far right), President Keck (second from the right), and State Rep. Dan Flynn (third from the right).

Gwiwon Jason Nam

Texas A&M University – Commerce celebrated 100 years as a state institution with the “Century as Lions” Ceremony and Nursing & Health Science Building Ground Breaking March 10.

It has been nearly one hundred years since a telegram arrived in Commerce on March 14, 1917 indicating that the state of Texas had decided to purchase the town’s college from its founder, William L. Mayo.

The President of A&M – Commerce, Dr. Ray Keck gave two lessons in his speech.

“A lesson about how this dream survived,” he said. “Despite the many challenges, we continually keep follow our dream as Professor Mayo had done.”

“The second lesson is there is glory enough for as all… not for any one of us. We are all of us together beneficiaries and participants … Students and heirs of William Leonidas Mayo,” he said.

Chancellor of Texas A&M University System, John Sharp, gave celebration speech.

“The growth that’s happening here is true testament to what the A&M System is about. We take ordinary kids like you and me and turn them into extraordinary human beings and citizens of the state of Texas,” Sharp said. “I just wanted to come here and congratulate you on a 100 years of being a public institution, over hundred twenty-five years as institution of education, and twenty years as a member of Texas A&M University System.”

Right after celebration speech, a special groundbreaking ceremony for the new Nursing and Health Sciences Building, which will house the Department of Health & Human Performance, Nursing and Biological Research, took place accompanied by thoughts and perspectives from university faculty and alumni.