Model Arab League Comes to Commerce

Eva Morales, Staff Reporter

Every year, the Southwest Model Arab League (MAL) conference takes place in a different university, but this year Texas A&M University-Commerce has the honor of hosting this event.

The MAL was establishing in 1983. It is an educational program where students learn about the history of the Arab world, and its politics. MAL helps students become more aware of what takes place around the world, especially Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen, among others.

This three-day event will last from April 6-8, and will be held at the Sam Rayburn Student Center. Several Texas universities will participate at the MAL conference, and each one will represent a different country. For instance, Baylor University will represent Bahrain and Oman, Texas State University will represent Algeria, and A&M-Commerce will represent Egypt and Yemen.

Dr. David Oualaalou is currently instructing a Model Arab League course in which students are required to attend to the MAL conference, and considers it a privilege to be part of the conference.

Also, students who participate will not only be allowed to do research, but will also develop a comprehensive understanding of the conflicts in the Middle of East.

After the conference, students will have to write a final paper in which students should write about their experiences at the conference, about the mistakes they made, and how they can fix it and do better.

“Students have to demonstrate high standards, because they are representing the school and they will compete with others universities, so we have to be at their level. Students should have a 4.0 GPA in order to take part in this event,” Dr. Oualaalou said.

The conference will be $45.00 per delegate. The entire political science department takes part in the conference and works together as a team. They are preparing students to get ready for the competition by enhancing their technical writing, public speaking, leadership, and critical thinking skills.

“The number of students is limited, right now there about 18 students,” Dr. Oualaalou said.

Besides the experience of being part of the MAL conference, students also have the opportunity to get internships around the United States. In addition to that, when students go to apply for a job, their résumé may look more professional if they have more activities, experiences, or any other kinds of college or university involvement.