Hearty Honors for A&M-Commerce Golfers

Courtesy%2Flionathletics.com
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hearty Honors for A&M-Commerce Golfers

Courtesy/lionathletics.com

Courtesy/lionathletics.com

Courtesy/lionathletics.com

Courtesy/lionathletics.com

Tiara Murdock, Staff Writer

Student athletes strive to be named Lone Star Conference champions of the week. The Lone Star Conference recognizes individual athletes in various sports for their performance during the week. Since August 2016, the university has had several LSC Player of the Week individuals including athletes from the men and women`s golf team.

Tyler McDonough, a sophomore from Llano High School, helped the golf team set school records for single round (284) and two-round (582) scores in 2014 at his high school.  He also holds school record for most three pointers in a single game. He was signed to Texas A&M University-Commerce Golf Team in July 2015 and became a Lone Star Conference champion of the week in June 2016.

Tyler McDonough said, “It felt good to be the LSC champion of the week. I worked really hard, and most importantly I made my dad happy in the process.”

Kason Childress, a senior from Sulphur Springs, played in 8 golf tournaments at A&M University-Commerce, between the 2014-2015 school year, as well as in 2015 he had the best three-round performance of his career. He was also awarded the D2ADA Academic Achievement Award and the Cleveland Golf All-American Scholar Award by GCAA. In 2012-2013 he emerged as one of the Lions’ top golfers in his freshman campaign, ranking second on the team in scoring average (76.38) while appearing in 10 tournaments for A&M-Commerce.

Kason Childress said, “I am very happy about my accomplishments. I am grateful for every award and recognition.”

Marisa Delgado, a junior from Keller, Texas, lettered two years at Keller High School, was a 2013 Regional Medalist at 5A Women’s Golf Regionals in Lubbock, Texas, and played on the Newman Women’s Golf Team in 2013-14 and 2014-15. She also was named on the Dean’s List at Newman University in 2014-2015 before she transferred to Texas A&M University- Commerce.

Marisa Delgado said, “Being in golf in high school and college has helped mold me into the player I am today. I would have never thought that I would be the LSC Champion of the week.”

Emily Taylor, a senior from Howe, Texas, was named LSC Champion of the week on September 29th when she broke her career bests set in 2013-14. She was also named to the Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) All-American Scholar team for the 2013-14 season, named to the LSC Commissioner’s Spring Honor Roll, and debuted as a Lion at the Hawks Creek Invitational in September 2013.

Emily Taylor said, “I really love what I do, and I am thankful for every award and honoree placement I was in.”