Men’s Basketball Looks to New Season

Kristen Taylor

Kristen Taylor

Dareious Scott, Staff Writer

The Texas A&M Commerce Men’s Basketball team are about to get their 2016-2017 season after going 17-11 overall last season. The team has added new and old faces to improve and to be better this season.

After what was considered an average season, the Lions are looking to have an even better season and to win the Lone Star Conference and ultimately a national championship. Junior Montrel Little, a transfer from Southeast Junior College, understands what the goal is this season and knows what it takes.

“The ultimate goal is to win it all,” Little said. “Just to get better and better every day for my team so we can be successful through the season.”

Along with working hard, Little understands that the bond with his teammates off the court is just as important with his teammates on the court.

“We all have a bond off the court and that is something I love about this team,” Little said. “We’re brothers, and we’re more than just teammates. We are a family all working for the same goal.”

Senior Jovan Austin also understands the importance of team chemistry and how it can benefit the team throughout the season.

“We’re a brotherly group, and positive energy is all we bring to one another,” Austin said. “It doesn’t matter which one of us are together, it’s going to feel like we’re all brothers.”

When asked about how he contributes to the team, Austin had no problem explaining and embracing his role as a team player and how the team trusts one another.

“My job is to make my teammates better and get everybody involved to make sure we reach success,” Austin said. “We have a lot of players who are buying into the system and trust one another, so we all can get better from one another and it makes it easier for everyone on the team.”

There’s no question that the men’s basketball team is looking to be better than they’ve been ever before, which they should. With tons of new faces and a coaching staff that is all in to win, it’s safe to say that the upcoming season is going to be exciting.

“I trust the coaches, and the coaches trust us,” Austin said. “We have high expectations for ourselves, because we constantly work hard to be the best we can be. I’m really looking forward to the season and getting out there with my brothers.”

The Lions start the 2016-2017 with a home game on Nov. 11 against Oklahoma Christian. Game time is set to be at 4:00 p.m.