Texas Fried Fun

Gwiwon Jason Nam, Staff Reporter

The State Fair of Texas returned with a parade that ran through downtown Dallas at Fair Park. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Texas Agriculture.”

According to the Fair information, fair attendees will see “interactive exhibits explaining how Texas agriculture touches our everyday lives and how food gets from farm to table.” Throughout the fair period, people can get experience of Texas culture including entertainment, art, agriculture, local food, history and more.

“This fair was a good chance for me to get closer with Dallas, Texas,” International student at Texas A&M University Commerce Sunhee Baek said. “Through the fair, I could learn a lot of things about Dallas and Texas, especially by taking a picture with the huge statue Big Tex. Also, it was a great time to release the stress with entertainment and delicious foods after mid-term exams.”

Fair attendees can also see the Mounted Unit which is housed in Fair Park year-round to demonstrate techniques during the fair. This year’s State Fair seems to have more family-friendly activities and exhibits.

At the Oak Farms Children’s Activity Center, they offer audience members a chance to dress up and take part in the show that features a host of circus favorites, and includes favorite childhood tales told through songs, storytelling and games.

Children can participate in activities and learn how food gets from farm to table at “Little Hands in the Farm” that is sponsored by Wal-Mart.

“Our kids liked ‘The Little Hands in the Farm,’ mother of four, and Commerce native, Susan Darnell said. “They got to pretend to be farmers and go through the process from field to table: planting, harvesting and taking care of animals.”

You definitely can’t exclude local food at the State Fair. Concessionaires offer several new food options at this year’s State Fair of Texas. People can check new food options before going to the Fair at the website:http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/New-Food-Announced-for-2016-State-Fair-of-Texas-394084291.html

“This part provides magnificent view especially at night with all lighting up,” one spectator said.

Each night at 7:15 p.m. the State Fair presents the Starlight Parade, a lighted procession featuring spectacular floats, lively music, dazzling costumes and a fun assortment of characters. The Mattress Firm Illumination Sensation lights up the Esplanade reflecting pool every night at 8 p.m. with a water and laser show featuring sparkling fireworks, liquid-fire fountains, dancing water and colorful music.

The annual State Fair of Texas has taken place nearly every year since 1886, and in one of the most popular states in the USA. The 2016 State Fair of Texas is to celebrate 130 years of history with Dallas and the Lone Star State.

State Fair of Texas President Mitchell Glieber provided his welcoming, “With the 130 years of history, it is clear the Fair serves not only as an annual celebration, but as a unique destination where people come together and create lifelong memories. It is our goal to bring people together for a tradition that embodies all aspects of Lone Star culture.”

The fair will run through Oct. 23, and is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday; and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Admission tickets are available at bigtex.com, Kroger, Walgreens, or at the gates of Fair Park. A general admission ticket is $18 for adults, and $14 for children and seniors. Food, rides, and some other activities will require the purchase of extra coupons, which you can get at the fair or order online. For the additional information, you can go to online website: http://bigtex.com/