Time to play the game

The 2015 Lions football season kicks off tonight with fresh matchup

Memorial Stadium will be far from empty tonight as the largest group of students in A&M-Commerce history prepare to turn out for the first game of the season.

Carter Lacy, Sports Editor

Your Rank #22 Commerce Lions kick off the 2015 football season when they host out-of-conference opponent Adams State tonight.

The Adams State Grizzlies (4-7, 3-6 RMAC) hail from Alamosa, CO. They finished sixth in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference last year. Junior QB Auston Hillmon returns, and led the team in rushing last year so look for the Lions to focus on shutting him down. His top target will be junior WR Phil Romero, who led the team with 30 catches, over 600 yards and seven TD receptions last season. ASU has a stacked a core of linebackers led by John Reed (the team’s leading tackler from 2014) and Wesley Brandon. Ryan Holland leads a secondary that will have to slow down a talented core of Commerce receivers.
     The Lions (9-3, 6-1 LSC), are coming off of a Lone Star Conference championship and a 72-21 drubbing of East Central University in the Heart of Texas Bowl. The best offense in all of DII football in 2014 returns with 10 starters who are upperclassmen, but replacing QB Tyrik Rollison will be a difficult task that senior QB Harrison Stewart will be charged with. TAMU-C completes a talented backfield with RBs Richard Cooper and Theo Wofford, who can run behind a powerful offensive line that will now include Baylor transfer Jason Osei starting at LG.
     This will be the first meeting between Adams State and TAMUC in the history of either program. The Lions went 5-1 at home last season and will look to begin the defense of their 2014 conference championship starting Thursday night.