aerial2

Give Schools a Chance

In a move to roll back some of the issues with Bush-era education policies, the U.S. legislature attempted to move forward with more education budget reforms, this time hoping to change the way Title I federal funds are used by the states, which currently are regulated by federal mandates requiring their use in low-income school districts. Last week, the bill met bipartisan rejection in the House, preventing control of where federal funds are distributed from returning to the state. While this may sound fine and dandy, this is Texas, and I have no confidence those funds would have gone to the schools that need them.

Generally, I’m all for reform to the disastrous No Child Left Behind Act, but the state of our school funding is in too fragile a predicament to remove any oversight as to how the money is spent. The white house released a report with their own criticism for the bill, going into the lack of accountability as to where Title I funds are going, as well as the fact that the bill would also prevent any federal education budget increases until 2021. They predict low-income schools in Texas to lose $51 million next year, and $693 million over the next five should the bill, which has already passed in the U.S. House Education and Workforce Committee, make it through the house and senate.

There is no way that our public schools, which are woefully underfunded as it is, can survive more cuts of this nature. There is no hope for our future if we continue to put absolutely no interest in the welfare of the coming generations. There is no way that spending less money on education will result in better schools. These are all simple concepts that are fairly universally agreeable, and thankfully our representatives managed to realize this.

Every single person who reads this knows the importance of education: for the students, it’s the whole reason you’re here; for the faculty and staff, it’s what you’ve dedicated your lives to; for the community members, parents, and everyone else who comes across this, why read if you didn’t care? If so many of you care, why does this happen again and again? Whatever the reason, it’s clear that education still has a lot more people to reach.