aerial2

Lead.er.ship Mind.ful.ness: SELF Realization

Graphic by Dirk Ercken via Flickr Creative Commons

Sheriff Osni, Special Contributor

Editor’s note: This opinion piece is by special contributor Sheriff Osni, a graduate student at Texas A&M University-Commerce, and it includes his personal account of a visit to the university Counseling Center.

“Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” ~ Carl Gustav Jung

The imperative first step in the foundation of Lead.er.ship Mind.ful.ness is to be mind.ful of and realizing the SELF; knowing who you are with clarity, certainty, and confidence; becoming conscious and aware of your principles, ethics, beliefs, and values through de.lib.er.ate, care.ful and hon.est reflection, investigation, evaluation, examination, and comparison of all that you choose to define you.

“Awareness allows us to get outside of our mind and observe it in action.” ~ Dan Brule

SELF realization is only half of the equation of the first step in Lead.er.ship Mind.ful.ness for as Alan Watts stated in “How do we define ourselves?” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXRPjdXGjjg we are all a reflection of our inter-actions with every-thing. Hence, I cannot completely know who I am without knowing who you are: If I am kind or cruel; generous or stingy; giving or holding; honest or dishonest, and so on and so forth it is because of my inter-actions with every-thing; I am who I am due to my chosen actions with, towards, and in response to others. Therefore, it is my carefully chosen nouns and adjectives (thoughts), and my deliberate chosen verbs (actions) that reveal and determine the authenticity and congruency of “I walk the talk” or “I do as I say” or as the American idiom goes “the proof is in the pudding” meaning the proof is in the results; the actions that speak louder than words.

“You have to do it by yourself and you can’t do it alone.” ~ Martin Rutte

Mind.ful.ness is a conscious practice that takes time. My 30 second elevator pitch is “I am Sheriff Osni. I believe that the more I develop my SELF, the more I can become even more helpful and more useful to be of more service to more people,” and summing it into one word” I am defined by INTEGRITY, for it is always doing the right thing, especially when no one is watching – for I am always watching… my SELF.” took me two years to mind.fully construct, and it is a dy.na.mic life-long process. And, I didn’t do it alone.

To make a difference in the world you must begin by making the difference in your SELF.

By a twist of fate, I was referred to the Counseling Center at A&M-Commerce which turned-out to be a blessing in disguise. Dr. Tina Yang, the Staff Psychologist I met with gave me a core values exercise tailored to my needs that “made a difference” in my life. The exercise tool brought attention, focus, and mind.ful.ness to begin evaluating who I truly am. At the beginning, on the surface, the exercise appeared too simple and I dismissed it as invaluable. Months later, when I committed to completing it, I found it to be a revelation.

“Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable.” ~ Albert Camus

In the process of analyzing my SELF and validating it against my actions I experienced Granger Westburg’s 10 stages of grief: Shock, Emotion, Reflection, Physical Symptoms, Anxiety, Guilt, Resentment, Resistance, Hope, and Affirming Reality.

“Knowledge is only potential power. It becomes power only when, and if, it is organized into definite plans of action and directed to a definite end.” ~ Napoleon Hill

Our journey continues soon, for Lead.er.ship is an ongoing process of Mind.ful SELF realization in relation with every-thing.

For an alternate expanded version of this article please visit https://issuu.com/sheriffosni/docs/lead.er.ship_mind.ful.ness_-_self_r.