aerial2

Vice President for Media Relations/Community Engagement at Texas A&M University-Commerce announced

Courtesy%2Ftamuc.edu
Courtesy/tamuc.edu

Courtesy/tamuc.edu

Courtesy/tamuc.edu

Mary Grace Rodriguez, A&M-Commerce Marketing Communications

Interim President Ray M. Keck announced on Tuesday that Noah Lord Nelson has been named Vice President for Media Relations/Community Engagement at Texas A&M University-Commerce, effective October 1, 2016.

Nelson, a 1973 journalism graduate of the university, is the first African American vice president in the history of the institution. A communications strategist, voiceover talent and former network correspondent for NBC News, Nelson has been at the university since 2012. His roles have included director of media relations/community engagement and distinguished visiting professor of journalism.

During his 30-year career in broadcast news, Nelson was the winner of numerous awards, including gold and silver medallions from the New York International Film Festival for “Best News Series” and two News Emmys for his work at NBC.

As a domestic and international reporter with NBC, he covered events ranging from U.S. presidential campaigns to civil war conflicts in Latin America to international drug trafficking in Columbia, Mexico and the U.S. Nelson has also been the voiceover talent for dozens of commercials, documentaries, video games and animation projects such as “Skyrim,” “Metal Gear,” “The Jackie Chan Adventures” and the hit series “Adventure Time.”

His responsibilities as vice president will include overseeing university marketing and communications and KETR, a National Public Radio station on the university campus. As head of the Office of Community Engagement, Nelson will be responsible for building stronger relationships between the university and regional civic, educational and governmental organizations.

“I am pleased and honored for the opportunity to be of service to the core institution that shaped and enriched my life so much,” Nelson said. “I’m looking forward to working with the talented individuals associated with my new responsibilities and feel we will be a strong team for the future of this institution.”

“Noah Nelson has lived and worked in every major city in this country,” Keck observed. “His career in broadcasting and his life with the media bring to this university stellar experience and expertise. And Noah is ours! As a graduate of East Texas State-A&M Commerce, he combines a deep, lived commitment to the university with a professional life of the highest order. We are deeply fortunate that this alumnus has come home.”