aerial2

Changing the Faces of Money

Courtesy%2Fhercampus.com
Courtesy/hercampus.com

Courtesy/hercampus.com

Courtesy/hercampus.com

Elizabeth Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Money is something that people come in contact with on a daily basis, and whether they notice it or not, it is always changing. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew has recently announced upcoming changes to the $5, $10, and $20 dollar bills that involve new faces and themes.

The most talked about change involves the $20 bill. This change entails that Andrew Jackson will be bumped to the back of the bill and Harriet Tubman will fill in his spot on the front.  This bill will be the first in more than a century to feature a woman, and the first ever to face an African American.

“With this decision, our currency will now tell more of our story and reflect the contributions of women as well as men to our great democracy,” Lew said.

Harriet Tubman is credited with being the “conductor” of the Underground Railroad during the 19th century, which led hundreds of escaped slaves to freedom. Her, as well as several other women’s right’s leaders, such as Sojourner Truth and Susan B. Anthony, will be making their debut on American currency.

While the changes to the nation’s currency are a big deal to many people, the student population of Texas A&M University – Commerce seemed less aware.

“I hadn’t heard anything about it,” Senior Brandon Bailey said. “I think it’s awesome, but it’s not really relevant to people right now. It might be once it actually happens.”

And the question of exactly when it will happen is still in question. Due to intricate designs as well as counterfeit prevention measures, the development of a new bill can take up to ten years to complete. Lew says the plan is to have the new $20 bill in circulation by the year 2020, which would also mark 100 years since the 19th amendment was passed, which gave women the right to vote.

“The new look to money is a great advancement for women in America,” accounting major Laura Fenter said. “Some very important women are getting some recognition that they deserve. It’s not all about the men now. Women are getting their spot on money, and now there might even be a woman president.”

Equality is a common topic in America today, whether it’s equality in race, gender, or economic status. By changing the faces of money, the United States is simply evolving to stay current with the times to begin providing a more level ground for both men and women.