aerial2

The Lion’s wear grey uniforms as they celebrate 100 years of athletics

Baleigh Whitlock, Staff Writer

The Lions’ gray football uniforms, the talk and hype of players and fans alike earlier this season, came as a surprise for the players from head coach Colby Carthel and the Touchdown Club.

The Touchdown Club, a booster club for football where donors and members can give monetarily to enhance the football program, was organized by Carthel and his staff in the summer 2013 to give boosters a chance to donate to a foundation that would help student athletes. Membership is $25.

The gray uniforms were selected for debut against Delta State Sept. 12. However, the Lions fell to the then No. 10 ranked Eagles 51-44 but have gone unbeaten since, racking up five consecutive wins.

The gray uniforms weren’t the only time special uniforms worn by the Lions as vintage East Texas State University uniforms were worn for the Alumni All-Star weekend, celebrating all former athletes.

The East Texas-clad Lions rolled over Eastern New Mexico 42-31 to continue their trek toward the Lone Star Conference crown.

This year, Lion Athletics is celebrating 100 years of athletics. Since the first football game on campus, witnessed by university founder William Mayo, the Lions have collected honors including conference championships and national titles.

Last year, Lions athletics finished 89th of 252 NCAA Division II athletic programs for the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, the best finish for the Lions since the award began seven years ago.